Monday, June 4, 2012

Cull and butchering

I agonized and agonized over the decision of whether or not I should cull the Wyondotte.  I kept going back and forth about it. Finally, I decided to do it.

I hosted the class at my house, a total of 8 people attended (including the teacher and myself).  We processed a total of 12 birds. 

I am glad I decided to cull the Wyondotte, she had lots of internal abnormalities, including inflammation on her reproductive (egg laying) track. It makes me feel better that her egg laying issues were not just a fluke, and likely to happen again. I feel like I made the right decision. 

I was also very worried about one particular part of the evisceration.  The very first cut you make, is a circle around the anus - you have to do so carefully so not to rupture the intestinal track.  I had read about it many times, and seen it once. The one time I saw someone do it, I didn't have a good view so couldn't really tell what I was supposed to do. This time I had the teacher standing next to me as I went.  I now feel 100% comfortable that I could do so again, by myself.   

No comments:

Post a Comment