Saturday, March 24, 2012

Beds and Buzz

Last weekend we got the raised beds together and filled. Below are pictures in action. Thusfar we have in starts of: onions, shallots, garlic, potatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower.  We can put the Kale seeds in now, just haven't gotten to it yet.  :) We will have to wait until April (last frost) to put the rest of the seeds in.



This weekend was a big weekend for me in terms of beekeeping. I got my first up close and personal experience with several hives, as well as made up sugar syrup for spring feeding.  Also, I found out that I will be getting 2-3 hives in April, in addition to the ones located in the community that I am responsible for checking on.  The most amazing thing was the smell. Somehow, the books all failed to mention the fact that the hives have the most wonderful and distinctive smell. Who knew?!  Even the dead one that we dissected/cleaned still had an aroma to it.  It's like a floral, sweet flowery-buttery smell. 

Cleaning out the dead hive was a lot of hard (even  gross) labor. Lot of lifting, scraping out wax/propolis, found lots of crawly things living in the dead hive (even mold started to take it over).  However, was really interesting.  This is a hobby I can really see myself enjoying. 


No comments:

Post a Comment