Monday, March 5, 2012

Buzz and Beds

Exciting week this week.  I got official word that I have a beekeeping apprenticeship starting in the Spring! Yahoo!  I'm excited that I get supervised for my foray into my beekeeping. More details on that as they occur.  For now, I'm studying up to refresh myself, as well as getting my bee toolbox together for site visits (hive tool, frame lifter,  bee brush, smoker & fuel, antihistamine tabs/topicals, epi-pen, etc). I'm not sure how many hives I'll be assigned to check on, I will be meeting with the owner of the company this week.

This weekend we built our raised garden beds.  Next weekend we will be getting and mixing up a large batch of the substrate. We are using the "Square Foot Gardening" Method, so will be using "Mel's special mix" (a mix of compost, vermiculite, and peat).  The weekend of the 17th is the Tilth's Spring plant sale, where we will be purchasing our plants. We didn't want to start with seeds for our first foray into gardening - started plants seems more assured.


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your apprenticeship! I'd love to hear how things are going for you as you get started. I just got my tools too and am busily painting my hives :)

    Kimberly at BeeNerdy

    ReplyDelete